Friday, March 2, 2012

Here a recipe...there a recipe

Why do I stink at blogging? Seriously...it's March 2nd...haven't been on here since September 1st. I love the idea of it. I just can't seem to keep up!

Anyhoo...adding some recipes I've been asked to share!

WHITE LASAGNA
Non Stick Cooking Spray
1 pound ground turkey or chicken (Susan suggests using mild italian turkey sausage)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I'm lazy and use the jarred stuff)
1 1/4 cups cottage cheese
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, well drained, squeezed (I used broccoli because my hubby is not a spinach fan)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
1 can (14.5oz) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk divided
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 box no-boil lasagna noodles
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Heat oven to 350. Coat 13x9 inch baking pan with no stick cooking spray.

2. Spray a large skillet with no stick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add meat (whatever you pick), onion, and garlic. Saute about 10 minutes, stirring and crumbling until onion is clear and meat is done. Remove from heat. Stir in cottage cheese and veggie of choice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.

3. Heat oil in medium saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Slowly pour in chicken broth and 1 cup milk. Bring to a boil, whisk constantly. Whisk until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in nutmeg, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Add up to 1/2 cup milk as needed to thin sauce.

4. Place 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of prepared pan. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. Pour 1/4 of the remaining sauce over noodles. Top with 1/4 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the meat mixture. Top with another layer of noodles. Pour another 1/4 of the sauce. 1/4 of the cheese and 1/3 of the meat mixture. Top with another layer of noodles. Pour on another 1/4 of the sauce. 1/4 of the cheese and remaining 1/3 of the meat mixture. Top with lasagna noodles, remaining sauce and cheese. Cover with foil.

5. Bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and back 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.


And there it is! This recipe came to me from my dear friend Susan while she was living in Alaska...now in Texas!

I was making this while my 3 year old was talking my ear off...so I missed a few steps...like mixing the cottage cheese and veggie with the meat. I ended up mixing it into the sauce instead. Ooops...but it all ended up together anyways right.

My hubby Chris liked it...but he thought it lacked in flavor...which could have been my choice of using ground turkey. Next time I will try mild italian turkey sausage as Susan uses.

This was my first time using no bake lasagna noodles...I think I like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment