Friday, March 9, 2012

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Prior to my weight loss surgery I was not a fan of green peppers...but now I seem to enjoy them cooked and even raw! GASP! So, in the almost 15 years Chris and I have been together I never made stuffed pepppers...til NOW! If my stomach would have allowed me to gobble the whole thing down...I totally would!!!

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Salt
4 bell peppers (pick whatever color you like...I used green, 1/2 inch trimmed off the top, stemmed, and seeded
1 1/2 cup minute rice (the original reciped called for long grain rice, but I don't own any of that so I used minute rice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 pound ground beef
3 garlic cloves, minced (I used my jar stuff again)
1 can tomato sauce
5 oz (1 1/4 cup) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon parsley (or 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley)
1/4 cup ketchup

Bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil in a large pot over high heat. Add the bell peppers and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove the peppers from the water, allowing excess water to drain back into the pot. Place the peppers, cut side up, on a paper towel lined plate.

Cook up your minute rice or your long grain rice, whichever you go with.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until simmering. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beef and cook, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant. Drain if needed. Combine with tomato sauce, 4 oz of cheese, and parsley. Add rice until it looks like enough. I realize that sounds weird...just depends how saucey you want it. Season the rice mixture with salt and pepper.

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the peppers, cut side up, in a 9x9 baking dish. Divide the filling evenly among the peppers. Top with ketchup evenly over the top of peppers, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Bake until the cheese is browned and the filling heated through, about 30 minutes.

YUMMINESS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment