Monday, March 19, 2012

Slow Cooker "Hunters" Chili

For several years I used to "wing it" with chili...including a few batches where Chris and I would politely eat the chili while sweating and taking down several glasses of milk. For the heck of it I decided to try this slow cooker chili recipe. BINGO!!!!! Ever since we have not strayed from the recipe.

Why do I call it "Hunters" chili? It's become a tradition for me to cook up this chili for Chris and the boys before they go off hunting. I always send it off with chopped onions, cheddar cheese, and Frito Scoops. I almost alwasy double the recipe for bigger crowds, or share, or freeze. It's yummy! Feel free to play with the kinds of beans. When I double I use one can of garbanzo beans and one can of black beans.

SLOW COOKER "HUNTER'S" CHILI (not doubled)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound italian sausage
1 medium onion (1/2 cup)
1 can (28oz) Crushed Tomatoes (you can use diced or whole, but we don't like chunks so we use crushed)
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 can (15oz) spicey chili beans (undrained)
1 can (15oz) garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)

1. In skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium-high heat, stir frequently until cooked through, drain.

2. In 3-4 quart slow cooker, mix beef mixture, remaining ingredients, break up tomatoes if using whole.

3. Cover; cook on low 7-8 hours. Top with whatever goodies you like.

YUMMY IN THE HUNTER'S TUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment